Monday, February 4, 2013

Weaning off Zoloft sucks.

Image Source
Brain zaps. Migraines. Vertigo. Memory loss. Sudden anger. Digestive issues (ahem). If you've ever had withdrawal symptoms from going off Zoloft (Sertraline), you know what I'm talking about.

I started taking Zoloft about 4 months after I had my boy because of severe post-partum depression and post-partum anxiety. My body was chemically thrown into the stratosphere after his birth. Nursing him until he was 1yo just sustained the issues.

He's 2 now and I can tell my mind and body are finally close to recovery. At this point, Zoloft is causing more harm than good. It makes my mind feel so clouded and hazy and leaves me constantly exhausted, wanting to sleep each day away.

So, for the last 2 months, with my doctor's supervision, I've been weaning myself off of the stuff. Every 2 weeks, I lower my dose by 50mg, which may not seem like much,

but holy crap!

I had no idea how ingrained this drug was in my system! It's kinda freaky.

And at the same time, though, as I've decreased meds, my energy has sky-rocketed. My motivation has increased. My mind seems sharper, clearer. This is proof to me that I was ready to be done with this crap.

It took about 6 weeks to get down to a 50mg dose and then I had to take a break. The withdrawal symptoms just got too intense. For about 3 weeks, I've been holding steady at that dose. Yesterday, I cut back to 25mg and am already feeling severe side-effects. Makes me feel like I'll never get off these meds.

But, I will. I know I will. It'll be uncomfortable, which I'm cool with. I'm just so excited to be me!




3 comments:

  1. It's amazing what medications can do to your body, good and bad. It's exciting that you are getting closer to being done with your meds, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing soooo great! I'm seriously impressed - both that you are doing it, and that you are writing about it. I think you're awesome, and I miss ya. Sheesh it's been pretty much forever. I think we should do a reunion that's not on top of Conference - that always seems like the worst possible time. Where you livin' these days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in denial for a long time that I needed help with postpartum depression. I finally went to the doctor about 6 months ago and she put me on low dose Paxil. I'm feeling better but not sure how withdrawal will be! Someday if I get there. Thanks again for the inspiration that I could feel better enough to go without it someday! My baby girl will be 2 next month!

    ReplyDelete