Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kids say it how it is.

As I am snoozin' in bed this morning, the toddler yells from his crib, "Mommy! Mommy, no more sleepin'! Mommy! Get up!" And I yell back, "I'm NOT sleeping!" Why do I feel like I have to defend myself to a 2 year old? Because he's right and I hate it.

So, I peel myself from my warm blankets, stumble into the hall, bracing myself on the doorway into his room, and heave him from his crib. I rush back to the hall and, just as I'm diving midair toward my bed, he cries, "Mommy, no! Eat!" "Oh, but we have to cuddle first," I coax as I nestle into the blankets.

He knows I'm stalling.

"Mommy make dutch babies, pleeeeease!" He pushes on my legs. "Mommy make dutch babies!" He grabs my hand. "Mommy, eeeeat! Make dutch babies!" He pulls on my fingers and slides onto the floor, still tugging. "Help mommy out bed."

At this point, I'm feeling pretty pathetic, totally called-out by the boy.

So, I go into the kitchen and make the kid some dang dutch babies, which are German pancakes if you're wondering. I made syrup, too (recipes below). Now I'm feeling like supermom. My kids are so lucky to have me. I'm so cool for making fresh syrup. And I served fruit. I'm the best.

As we're finishing our gourmet breakfast, I rub my belly and see 11:04 on the clock. I stretch my arms, sigh and say to my 4-year-old girl, "I need to take a shower." "It's not Sunday, though," she replies.


Recipes to impress the kids (or not):

Dutch Babies
4 TB butter (not margarine, for heaven's sake)
6 eggs
1 C flour
1 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut up butter into 9x13 dish. Place dish with butter in oven while it preheats; remove from oven when butter is melted and beginning to brown. Meanwhile, whisk all other ingredients. Pour egg mixture over melted butter in dish and bake for 16-20 min until puffed and edges are golden brown.

Maple Syrup (from my Mom-in-law)
In saucepan over med-high heat, combine:
1 1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C corn syrup (oh no! death is upon us!)
1 C water

Turn up heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly. After sugars are dissolved (abt 30 sec - 1 min), turn off heat. Stir in:
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Mapleine (or any brand imitation maple flavoring)

Serve! Store extra in a sealed container in fridge and reheat in microwave for next time.

*I usually double the batch and keep in a mason jar in the fridge. You can reheat/cool as often as needed since there's nothing perishable in it (none of us have died yet).

2 comments:

  1. hahaha - "it's not sunday though" is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that sounds a lot like my mornings too, but you're a stud for making yummy pancakes and syrup from scratch!

    ReplyDelete